We’ve spent a few months only dreaming of exploring Scotland, but it’s now time to turn these dreams into plans, and book your break to Scotland. With more information now available on what will open and at what stage, it should now be easier to plan your trip to Scotland for this year or next.
We’ve got all the information you need on what you need to know – physical distancing guidelines and face coverings, what’s open, and other questions you might have on safety measures to keep you safe from Covid-19 on your Scottish trip.
WHAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW
- Keep a distance of 2 metres from anyone outside of your household (or your travel group) at all times.
- The only exception is where a business has been allowed to reopen with a 1 metre distance between groups of people, but there should be additional safety measures in place.
- If you go somewhere outdoors and it is too crowded to remain at a distance of 2 metres, please consider leaving and finding somewhere else to go.
- Children aged 11 and younger do not need to physically distance indoors.
- Face coverings are mandatory on public transport and in retail shops.
- It’s also recommended you wear your face covering anywhere indoors that is difficult to maintain the recommended physical distance.
- There are exceptions for some health conditions and for children under 5.
CHECK BEFORE YOU GO
- Always check directly with a business before visiting – dates below are when a sector is allowed to reopen, but some businesses may need a little longer to prepare.
- They will also be able to tell you if you need to book in advance, and what safety measures they have will be operating when you visit. Look out for the Good to Go scheme logo, which shows which businesses have carried out a Covid-19 risk assessment.
EXPLORING THE OUTDOORS
- The Scottish Outdoor Access Code applies all year-round and offers some great tips and advice so that you can enjoy these spaces safely, and give staff the time and space they need to look after them properly.
- Find out more advice on exploring the countryside of Scotland just now.
PLAN A HOLIDAY WITH ALL THE INFORMATION
- We’ve got a handy download to guide you on how to enjoy Scotland responsibly over the new few months – check out our helpful reminders to protect yourself and others, and plan ahead.
- As we start to venture out again, here are five easy ways you can support Scotland’s fantastic tourism industry with our take five for tourism PDF.
MEETING UP WITH OTHERS
- You can meet up with four other households outdoors, with a maximum of 15 people.
- You can meet up with two other households indoors, with a maximum of 8 people. This can include overnight stays.
- You can meet up to four households per day, though this does not apply to anyone under 18.
- If you develop Covid-19 symptoms while on holiday in Scotland, please self-isolate in your accommodation and follow the advice from the Scottish Government.
WHAT BUSINESSES ARE OPEN NOW?
Remember to check with individual businesses before visiting, as some may need longer than the dates below to reopen safely.